The history of Sutton Farm dates back to the early 1800s. The property was originally part of a fifty acre land grant given to Edward Shipley, an emancipated convict. Along with his wife Mary, (also a convict!), he established the property known as “Stonehill” in 1822. The homestead was constructed using convict labour, and the Shipley’s lived and worked on Stonehill until its sale to Thomas Greenhill in 1851. In 1867, Greenhill sold the property to James Walker, who renamed it “Winston” and retained ownership until 1874, before selling to Edward H. Badgery, a member of a family that was one of the earliest to arrive in the European settlement of the Southern Highlands. It was around this time, that a second story was added to the homestead, including its beautiful cedar staircase imported from a 17th century church near Dublin. Ownership of the property changed a number of time in the early 1900s, before the establishment of the Sutton Farm Stables in the 1930s. The indoor arena was added to the stables in the 1960s, and the stables used as a location for the classic Australian horse movie “Phar Lap”. For a time in the 1980s, the stables were converted to craft shops and cafes and the indoor arena used to host musical performances! In the early 1990s, Sutton Farm was returned to use as an equestrian facility. Now as a five-star agistment property and riding school, it has been restored to its glorious past as the Sutton Farm Equestrian Centre.
Please contact Sutton Forest Equestrian Centre for more information on Stable Hire.
Uniforms are available from the SFEC Office in the main stables building.